Sunday, May 16, 2010

Should I send a thank you note after an interview?

Question: Should I send a thank you letter following a pharmacy school interview?

Answer: Some years ago, I received a thank you note or email from what seemed like most of the applicants that I personally interviewed. Today, however, I receive very few.

What I will point out though, is that I tend to remember those applicants who did send the note (which is the point of sending the note, right?). On several occasions when discussing a file, I have heard a commitee member comment that they received a nice card or email from the applicant being discussed. While it might not sway anyone's opinion, for the time it took to send the note, I'd say it was worth it.

I might also add that if you have been working with someone in the admissions office closely, it would be very polite to send them a thank you email as well following an interview. Sometimes I think they get overlooked.

3 comments:

Pharmgal said...

I think it is just common courtesy to send a thank you and we should send them every time after interviews. I don't understand why someone wouldn't.

Anonymous said...

I want to say thank you for the Cheerios coupon! hehe

Anonymous said...

It makes you look like you are trying too hard if you send a thank-you card. It's like saying "none of the other schools want me and I am really desperate."