Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Becoming a "research pharmacist"

Question: I was wondering if there was any stigma attached to those of us who don't want to go into retail or clinical practice, but rather would like to pursue research oriented careers with the PharmD. Would it work against me if I wrote about my desire to do research instead of retail or clinical in my personal statement? I am primarily applying to several so-called "research schools," as well as other schools that seem to be more oriented toward more traditional pharmacist roles.


Answer: This is a good question and one that will have wildly varying responses depending on the institution. I know of a couple of committee members at my present school who have frowned on applicants who express no desire to work in pharmacy practice, figuring instead that the school is better served admitting those who will follow a traditional path (note: I disagree with their view). I wonder, however, if research based schools such as those mentioned might have committee members who have similar experiences to what you desire and might give you some preference.

As I tell most applicants, I usually discourage using your statement to tell the committee members what specifically you are going to do - it gives the appearance of not being open minded. Many applicants tell us they want to be in academia or work in a clinical setting because they have no desire to be a retail pharmacist. I caution anyone from closing too many doors in an opening statement, but instead I suggest mentioning those pharmacy disciplines that interest you and keep all doors open.

My bottom line answer (and suggestion) is this: You can safely state that research interests you, but also indicate that you are excited to learn about the various disciplines pharmacy has to offer.

I hope that helps.

No comments: