Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Personal Statement Advice - Part 4

Below is a small portion of a personal statement that I recommended some changes to.

while volunteering in the hospital pharmacy, I came to the conclusion that it is not a field I am interested working in long-term. The pharmacists at the hospital did not seem to have much, if any, interaction with patients. As I restocked medications, I would watch the staff pharmacists sit in front of their computer for hours reading prescriptions, arguing with physicians, and minimally interacting with anyone.

Response: As noted in an earlier blog entry, don't close doors. I would not recommend making the negative hospital pharmacy reference noted above. It is likely that at least some committee members will have hospital experience (and probably much more clinical than what is described). Why give them the notion that you "think you know it all", "have it all figured out", "are too good to be a hospital pharmacist".

Instead, I would simply make a reference to having shadowed in a hospital pharmacy and leave it at that. Focus more on the other pharmacy experiences that you found useful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is made up right? No one would actually write that.