Tuesday, July 28, 2009

PCAT score review - Part 3

Question: I have just received my PCAT score and found them to be very low. Two of the lowest being Math and Chemistry. The last time I had Math or Chemistry was about four years ago and that is probably the reason why I did so poorly. Besides the poor scores my GPA is 3.25 and the classes I am taking now to fufill the prereq have been all A's. I also have a BA in Biology. I've been in pharmacy for 7 years and love every minute of it. I used to work in retail and now work in an IV room in a hospital setting. How important is the PCAT score or are other things taken into consideration?


Answer: You didn't indicate in your email what you scores actually were, but "very low" doesn't sound encouraging. Your case of taking the PCAT several years removed from coursework is not that atypical and a committee member probably won't consider that when reviewing your file.

Your pharmacy experience and BA in Bio will be beneficial to you and your GPA, while marginal, won't hurt you. Somewhere in the blog I mentioned the things I look to first when reviewing a file and PCAT is at the top of the list. It's not the only thing that matters, of course, but standardized testing is one way to distinguish students.

I don't know if I subscribe to the theory that a high or low PCAT is a predictor of success or failure in pharmacy school or on your boards, but the PCAT will heavily influence whether or not you make it into pharmacy school. If you would like to provide more information, we can try to answer your question in greater detail.

No comments: