Thursday, July 30, 2009

How to address a DUI - part 2

Question: I am concerned about is how my underage misdeameanor DUI will affect my chances of getting into pharmacy school. I know this question has already been answered previously in a post a few days ago, but I do not know the circumstances of the other person's situation. I would appreciate an honest answer about my chances of getting into pharmacy school, know that you know my situation completely. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this!


Answer: My response is this: at my current institution we consider the circumstances of such offenses, particularly the age at which it occurred. If this happened while underaged, you can try to explain it as making a very poor choice as a young person and having since vowed to never let it occur again. Don't dwell heavily on the DUI in your personal statement, but I think you need to address it.

You might mention anything that you have done with community service or alcohol prevention to show that you have learned from your error in judgment and how you are focused on helping others,etc. Having a DUI isn't going to help you, obviously, but you can try to positively "spin it" to show what you have learned and how it will make you a better person and pharmacist.

Good luck.

No comments: