Friday, July 3, 2009

Question about speech waivers

Question: I am applying to a program that has Speech as one of the prerequisites. I did not take Speech in college so I am writing a two page document detailing my work experience as a sales rep to demonstrate my communication abilities. This school will accept Speech waivers as a replacement for taking the course as long as they feel you have demonstrated sufficient communication skills in your professional experience. Does anyone have experience with this or can someone help me if they have encountered a similar situation?


Answer: If the school allows for a waiver for this course, I suspect working as a sales rep would give you as much speech / presentation experience as just about any field. I would detail your job responsibilities and indicate how many presentations and speeches you give in a normal day, week, month of work activity. Adding a reference from a superior or someone who can vouch for you might not hurt either.

Note: If you have experience with applying for a waiver (for this course or a similar prerequisite), please leave comments below to assist. Thank you.

1 comment:

RoscoeFlat said...

I went back to pharmacy school after 12 years as a secondary school science teacher and was able to waive my speech class. I wrote a brief note stating my job duties and they were quick to give me the waiver. Although never stated in these terms, I got the feeling that the course would have been required for ESL students to prove proficiency with English.