Saturday, July 25, 2009

Review of PCAT scores

Question: I took the PCAT in January 2008 (scores below). I have been rejected and waitlisted and would like to reapply this year. Suggestion?

Verbal Ability -45
Biology - 69
Reading Comprehension - 30
Quantitative Ability - 50
Chemistry - 59
Composite - 49

Biology I with Lab: B
Biology II with Lab: B
Biology III with Lab: C

Organic I Lecture: C- (Took it in a different city and teacher was hardly accessible for students)Organic I Lab: B+
Organic II Lecture: B+
Organic II Lab: B+


Answer: Thank you for providing all of the information you did. Giving a quick glance as a reviewer, I think that your composite PCAT score is probably keeping you out right now. Obviously, the overall score is being dragged down by your verbal and reading scores.

I would like to give you the benefit of the doubt if you had exemplary biology, chemistry and quant scores. Or maybe we could overlook marginal PCAT scores if you had A's in your biology and Orgo courses. Unfortunately, you do not. I am not implying that your PCAT is unsatisfactory - I imagine at some schools you could receive an interview and maybe even be accepted. However, a composite PCAT < 50 isn't going to get you in at many schools.

I strongly suggest retaking the PCAT. If you can improve your composite to 70, your chances improve measurably. I think you are on the right track, but really it is going to come down to improving your PCAT. It may also be advantageous to expand the list of schools where you are applying.

Best of luck.

13 comments:

SDNguy said...

Good luck to the poster. I hope he/she has wonderful extracurriculars or pharmacy-related experience to supplement the applications.

Anonymous said...

How do admissions committees view a few low subtest scores but an overall decent composite score? I earned an 86 composite, but I had a 37 for the chemistry subtest.

Admissions said...

Good question - I will answer in a separate blog entry.

Anonymous said...

Could you tell me what you think I would get? I am rateking the PCAT tom. I am not goot at standardized tests but I think that my GPA will prove me to be a good candidate. What do you think?

Verbal Ability -43
Biology - 40
Reading Comprehension - 55
Quantitative Ability - 20
Chemistry - 28
Composite - 33

Biology I with Lab: A
Biology II with Lab: A

Organic I Lecture:A
Organic I Lab: A
Organic II Lecture: A
Organic II Lab: A

Anonymous said...

It was very brave of you to post all of your scores and grades especially from organic. I just wanted to tell you that I got accepted to my top school with a 49 composite score on the pcat. My suggestion would be to make sure that your pcat score was the worst aspect of your application. I would volunteer(pharmacy or nursing home), research experience, or anything that you could possibly do to make it look like you are making an effort to get into school. Again, nothing looks better than pharmacy experience in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

I am on the admissions committee (for a high ranked school) and we have found no correlation between PCAT scores and accepted student performance over the past 5 years. We look at the PCAT scores as helpful when we have little historic basis for judging the students' GPA, e.g. they come from a school relatively unknown to us. More important factors are excellent grades in coursework (esp. organic) and extensive pharmacy/healthcare experience.

Anonymous said...

I just received my PCAT scores, can you let me know if I'm likely to be accepted?

Bio 84
Verbal 63
Reading Comp 37
Quantitative Ability 74
Chemistry 95
Composite 80

Conventions of Lang 3.0
Problem Solving 3.0

Unknown said...

could you tell me if i can get into any pharmacy school with these scores? GPA:3.52 PCAT:402 and 47 percentile. VA: 387 27. Bio 408 61. Chem 422 77. RC: 383 20. QA: 410 59. and for both problem solving & language are 3.0. Are these scores enough to get into any pharmacy school?

Anonymous said...

Hi-
I am a nontraditional student, 35 yo.
I received a BS in Science in 2001 but have a low gpa 2.6. I was a Lab TA for 3 years in college.
In the fall, I will retake 4 sci/ math classes that I made a D or C in.
I worked for 8 years as a research assistant at a top cancer hospital in texas.
I have 4 manuscripts published in high and low impact journals as a result of research on carcinogenesis.
I compounded on a bioterrorism project our lab was working on. (this is what made me fall in love w pharmacy)
My Pcat diagnostic score is 440 before taking Kaplan prep class. I expect it to go up to a 500 at least.
I am volunteering in a pharmacy 10h a week.
2 professors who teach in the college of pharmacy are LOR.
for 3 years, I was a 7th grade science teacher.

Do you think my gpa will overshadow all other credentials?
Thank you for any advice.

Anonymous said...

I've got a 3.25 and 49 PCAT. 6 months pharmacy experience as well as well as 5 months of experience in a clinic. What schools should I apply to?

Anonymous said...

It doesnt matter theres people that got in with a 20 pcat score or 3.0 Gpa or failed chem and retook it if its meant for you it will be ok. Interview is really important more important than pcat if u can do well on everything else pcat wont matter, like ignorant people stfu! Im sick of people saying under a 70 pcat or under a 50 pcat dont have a chance, everyone has a shot. Doing bad on pcat doesnt mean you wont graduate pharmacy school and be a good pharmacist! Sheeesh again everyone stfu, i got accepted with a 18 PCAT

Anonymous said...

You really gave me hope. thanks!

Anonymous said...

Which schools are easy to get accepted into?