Sunday, July 26, 2009

Review of PCAT scores - part 2

Question: How do admissions committees view a few low subtest scores but an overall decent composite score? I earned an 86 composite, but I had a 37 for the chemistry subtest.


Answer: Good question. I anticipate more questions regarding PCAT scores from those that took the June test, so please send them our way.

First of all, an 86 composite score is very good and will get you admitted to a lot of schools. However, I have heard that some schools will automatically reject an application with any subset score below a certain threshold (say, Chem < 40). They may or may not publicize this fact, but it is a reality as the schools have many applications to review and this is a way to weed out some applicants.

In your case, to achieve a composite score of 86 with a 37 on chemistry you must have done really well on the other subset categories. I can speak only for myself, but if I were reviewing your application I would see the PCAT Chem score as somewhat concerning. I would look further to validate or minimize my concern by checking the following:
a) What are your Chem and Orgo grades?
b) Do you have an LOR from a science professor who can sspeak to your aptitude?

If you had good grades (A's or B's), I would probably dismiss the low PCAT Chem score and give you the benefit of the doubt. If you had your Orgo professor write an LOR and (s)he said you were a model student who did very well in class even if your grades weren't straight A's, I would probably assume you could do the work necessary in pharmacy school.

The problem would be if your Chem and Orgo grades were poor (C's, D's, or withdrawals) or if you had an LOR that wasn't very supportive. The aforementioned might make me concerned about your ability to be successful in a program focused heavily on chemsitry. Not knowing your entire situation, it may be to your advantage to get an LOR from a Chem or Orgo professor and ask them to please write in support of your pharmacy school application. You could also use your statement or supplemental application to mention your abilities in the core sciences, just to deflect any attention the reviewer might have toward your PCAT Chem score.

Best of luck - I think you are on your way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Admissions,

Thank you for your quick response! I had 2 subtest scores in the 90s and 2 in the 70s. My letters are coming from 2 science profs (my undergrad and master's advisors) and my work supervisor. I would try to get a letter from one of my chem. profs, but it's been 7 years since I took those classes and I doubt they even remember me. I'll definitely include some of what you said in my personal statement. Thanks again for your advice!